Security Tips for Travelling Abroad
April 27, 2022
Many people enjoy travelling to learn about new and different cultures, history and traditions. And, as this type of travel increases, so does the risk of kidnappings, muggings, hotel break-ins and other crimes. Use these tips to protect yourself when you travel abroad.
- Familiarize yourself with local customs and laws, as you are subject to them while travelling
- Avoid using taxis when possible. Instead, have your hotel’s concierge service book a reliable driver or car service for you.
- Bring small door and window locks with you while travelling, and use them in your hotel room.
- Don’t let anyone into your hotel room unless you can see who they are through the door’s peephole.
- Make sure to pack a flashlight in case you go out in a dark area or the power goes out.
- Leave copies of your itinerary and passport with friends and family at home.
Don’t get distracted while you’re site-seeing. Thieves will often work together to distract their targets before stealing from them. At the same time, always keep a hand on your wallet or purse to make sure that it doesn’t get stolen as you take your surroundings in.