May 18, 2022
As summer is quickly approaching we will see more people riding motorcycles. There is a growing trend in the number of motorcycle fatalities and accidents each year, making motorcycle safety a real concern for riders. Read on for some basic tips to help you arrive at your destination…safely.
Common Causes of Accidents:
- Motorists fail to see riders when they are coming out of a driveway, making a left turn in front of an oncoming rider or when the motorcycle is in the driver’s “blind spot.”
- Many riders do not obtain the proper motorcycle licence and training to learn how to properly operate the bike.
- Riders speed excessively while also weaving in and out of traffic lanes.
- Riders are under the influence of drugs or alcohol—the cause of almost half of all motorcycle accidents.
Safety Tips for Riders:
- Attend motorcycle training courses and get a licence specifically for a motorcycle.
- Always wear a helmet and other appropriate gear.
- Do not drink alcohol or use drugs while operating a motorcycle.
- Practise using the controls and gears while your bike is off and parked.
- Follow posted speed limits.
- Look out for hazards such as potholes, cracks and bumps in the road.
- Exercise extreme caution when you are carrying passengers.
As mentioned above, accidents are commonly caused by motorists failing to see riders. To increase the odds of a motorist seeing you before it is too late:
- Do not tailgate or weave between lanes if traffic is slow.
- Abide by traffic laws, just like motorists are expected to do.
- Always use turn signals to warn motorists of your intentions.