Salted roads, cold temperatures and potholes all take a toll on cars, and Car Care Month encourages drivers to conduct proper vehicle maintenance from winter to spring.

  • Make sure you keep up to date with oil change services, and remember to switch out your winter tires.
  • Check your emergency roadside kit to include things like a first-aid kit, flashlights, snacks and bottled water.
  • Clean your car’s interior by wiping down windows, washing the floor mats, and vacuuming the car’s upholstery.
  • Test your car’s lights to ensure they’re all working inside and outside.
  • Inspect your windshield for chips and cracks.
  • Check your tire pressure.
  • Check your tires’ tread.
  • Top off your window washer fluid.
  • Change your wiper blades.
  • Or… take your car to the mechanic for servicing.

As summer is quickly approaching we will see more people riding motorcycles. There is a growing trend in the number of motorcycle fatalities and accidents each year, making motorcycle safety a real concern for riders. Read on for some basic tips to help you arrive at your destination…safely.

Common Causes of Accidents:

  • Motorists fail to see riders when they are coming out of a driveway, making a left turn in front of an oncoming rider or when the motorcycle is in the driver’s “blind spot.”
  • Many riders do not obtain the proper motorcycle licence and training to learn how to properly operate the bike.
  • Riders speed excessively while also weaving in and out of traffic lanes.
  • Riders are under the influence of drugs or alcohol—the cause of almost half of all motorcycle accidents.

Safety Tips for Riders:

  • Attend motorcycle training courses and get a licence specifically for a motorcycle.
  • Always wear a helmet and other appropriate gear.
  • Do not drink alcohol or use drugs while operating a motorcycle.
  • Practise using the controls and gears while your bike is off and parked.
  • Follow posted speed limits.
  • Look out for hazards such as potholes, cracks and bumps in the road.
  • Exercise extreme caution when you are carrying passengers.

Safety First

As mentioned above, accidents are commonly caused by motorists failing to see riders. To increase the odds of a motorist seeing you before it is too late:

  • Do not tailgate or weave between lanes if traffic is slow.
  • Abide by traffic laws, just like motorists are expected to do.
  • Always use turn signals to warn motorists of your intentions.


Insurance can be hard to understand. It seems like it’s forever changing, and you never know what you are in for. As an insurance brokerage, Ing and McKee Insurance is here to help keep you informed and updated with changes that may impact you. Direct Compensation Property Damage, also known as DCPD, has been introduced as new insurance coverage for people in Alberta. Below are some changes you should be aware of.

What does this mean? Since January 1st, 2022, DCPD has been mandatory insurance. DCPD means that your own insurance company will cover you if you are not at fault in a collision caused by the other driver.

Will this affect my premium? Overall, 57% of customers will either see no change or a decrease as a result of the introduction of DCPD, and 34% of drivers will see an increase of up to 5%. Owners of less expensive vehicles to repair generally will see a decrease, and owners of more costly vehicles to repair may see a premium increase. Any claim payment where you are 100% not at fault will not impact your DCPD rating or premium.

How will this affect efficiency in insurance companies? The DCPD coverage will be more efficient in making claims, and you will only have to deal with your insurance company rather than wait on the other party’s insurance company. DCPD will result in quicker claims and faster repairs. 

What does DCPD cover in a collision where the other driver is at fault? The DCPD coverage includes damage to the insured vehicle, its loss of use, and contents inside the vehicle at the time of collision. However, it will not cover any personal injuries as a result of the accident.

What if the party involved is not insured? DCPD will not cover any amount of the claim if the party at fault does not have coverage. One should still purchase optional collision coverage for cases such as these and situations where you are either partially or fully at fault.

If you have other questions regarding the DCPD, please check out this website:

What types of property and losses are excluded from my policy?

No insurance policy provides coverage for everything. Typically, coverage does not apply to types of losses that are uninsurable (e.g., war and nuclear events) or to certain causes of loss that may be purchased at extra cost (damage caused by flood, surface water, water which backs up through sewers or drains, earth movement). Coverage is also typically excluded for certain property that is intended to be explicitly insured (e.g., automobiles, aircraft, powered watercraft beyond certain horsepower thresholds, etc.). Personal liability coverage protects you and your premises from claims of negligence but will not respond to bodily injury or physical damage caused by an intentional act of the insured.

What happens if I have a fire?

How do I collect for my personal property? Most policies provide for replacement costs for a loss involving contents up to the limit of insurance purchased. You will be repaid for the loss of your possessions that you can demonstrate that you owned at the time of loss. It is a very good idea to keep an up-to-date inventory in a secure place. Also, to help you remember what you had, it is helpful to take pictures or videos of each room. Certain items, like jewelry, fine arts, and some collections – will have sub-limits in the policy and may require to be explicitly listed to be insured.

Am I covered if my sump pump fails due to water backing up through the sewers?

Not under a standard policy, but you can easily add a sewer backup endorsement to your homeowner’s policy to cover this type of loss.

Is my boat covered?

Theft of watercraft, including furnishings, equipment, and outboard motors, is typically excluded if the theft occurs outside your residential premises. You need a separate boatowners insurance policy to cover your boat and its accessories adequately.

 I have insured antique items listed on my policy. Do I receive payment for the full insured value if I have a total loss?

To set the insured value, insurers typically want to confirm the value of the items with one or more independent expert appraisals. You should then be paid a dollar value based on the professional estimate of the worth of the antique items—the best way to insure your antiques. Get appraisals and establish the stated values in the policy.

If I have water damage from a rainstorm, am I covered?

Unless the water enters through an opening caused by the storm. A separate flood or overland water endorsement on your policy is needed to cover losses to your property caused by flooding.

During a storm, a tree from my neighbour’s yard fell and destroyed my fence. Who pays for the loss?

Generally, your policy should cover the loss and look after the repairs. Your insurer might be able to recover the amount paid for the loss from the neighbour’s homeowners’ insurance if the loss occurred due to your neighbour’s negligence.

What if I lose power and the food in my freezer spoils?

A basic policy typically does not cover this loss; however, most homeowners’ policies provide a sub-limit of coverage for spoilage of food losses in freezers.

If my stereo is stolen from my vehicle, is it covered under my auto or homeowner’s insurance policy? Automobiles and their attached equipment are excluded explicitly under homeowners’ insurance policies.  

For added protection, check with us to determine if coverage can be purchased for the stereo used in your auto.